IGNORED

Wii MotionPlus

Eighthours

This is a real surprise, particularly as it's up on Nintendo's own website a day before their E3 conference:

<a href="http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/eM...CJAKWhEO9zBvyPH" target="_blank">http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/eM...CJAKWhEO9zBvyPH</a>

lApMjLBYdw7v2ATJbBTQ1lLHPs4jxMFx.jpg

Nintendo's upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player’s arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo’s commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

Brilliant. The slight lag has always been the small achilles heel of the Wiimote.

I presume that there will be plug-ins for existing Wiimotes (as shown in the picture), and that the tech will be put in all new ones as standard.

This shit just got real.

This shit just got real.

:)

But on a serious note, will it be intergrated, or at least sold as standard? I for one, unfortunately, think not. Nintendo makes craploads from accessories, and this is another way to do it.

Wow, didn't expect this (unless it's joke, can't access the website at work).

Isn't it kind of admitting that the wiimote isn't as good as it could be?

maybe this is to pre-empt MS showing their wagglemote tonight?

Presumably there'll be a few games designed around this then. Wii Fencing? Irritating Stick 3D?

Well, it'll work with all the old games presumably, and mean that the controls are more responsive... but it will also allow devs to improve controls in their new games. At the mo, devs have had to work around the lag problem. No longer. That it's appearing now on the website suggests that Nintendo expect an MS Xmote announcement.

If I was arty enough I'd make a picture advertising wii 2 with add ons and guff all over the place. Honestly, considering the wii is trying to appeal to the casual gamer you're going to need a PHD to work out which add-ons you need to play which game. There's going to be no room on the box for art as it'll be full of icons indicating the appropriate add-ons needed.

The WiiMote had lag?

Yep.

Where are the 'add-on = fail' doom mongers?

It's an add-on for existing Wiimotes, but the tech is bound to be in new ones out of the box. And hopefully it'll be reasonably priced. Pre-order quickly, as you know what Ninty's stocks are like.

This must confirm the MS Waggle rumour?

Ninty found out, decided to up the game to make MS look shit and then beat them to the MS conference today.

Waggle on 360-confirmed. (?)

Nintendo prove once again that they've got everyone else on the run. Within only a few years their PR has gone from totally useless to superb.

I think it does confirm MS waggle.

I would speculate the wii sports 2 or wii play 2 will come bundled with the add-on. Or indeed wii music.

I presume this is going to ship with a game that takes use of it's extra powers.

In the future new wiimotes will include it within, eventually giving everyone the extra accuracy.

Maybe releasing the news now is the trump MS, and anyway would it be that great an announcement to save for the press event? surely this will get people talking over the next day, then the software that shows off this device will come tomorrow.

Amazing. They've fixed the Wii!

The prospect of the Wii completely bombed in my mind as soon as I learnt that it was limited to pointless gesture waggle and inaccurate 2D pointing, and I never regained interest in it. Until now.