IGNORED

Wii MotionPlus

Eighthours

Yes, but this the way Nintendo work.

New, from Nintendo, a GBA screen that you can actually see!

Is this the thread where it's safe for us Wii fans to admit that the original Wii remote was disappointing in some respects? Ah, that felt good.

Maybe releasing the news now is the trump MS, and anyway would it be that great an announcement to save for the press event? surely this will get people talking over the next day, then the software that shows off this device will come tomorrow.

Absolutely, get people talking about it now and show it in action with the software tomorrow. Then they'll do the massive smash brothers esque:

"And you will be able to buy the wiimote2 in shops on just... December 31st 2008"

and everyone will sigh.

Honestly, I think they'll megaton it and get it out with something very soon.

You think?

Yes. They're selling out of Wiimotes as soon as they're made, so I doubt they have excess stock issues there. If they wanted to, they could start making the inclusive versions for Xmas, I'd wager. Of course, they may decide to stagger the launch so as to make a mint on the accessory version.

Imperfect and capable of further development != borked.

It is an odd thing to do, though. Introduce improvements to a product. I don't think I've ever seen Nintendo do that before.

(Really, though, this one is a bit odd. Reminds me of the rumble pak for some reason.)

So this is Nintendo admitting the original hardware was fundamentally borked?

Good, good. One could argue it was embarrassing though.

Be good to see where they take it now.

I think it's Nintendo saying the Wiimote could be even more awesome than it is, that's a good thing.

Now if any other company have cobbled together some gesture controller then that would be embarrassing.

Imperfect and capable of further development != borked.

It is an odd thing to do, though. Introduce improvements to a product. I don't think I've ever seen Nintendo do that before.

(Really, though, this one is a bit odd. Reminds me of the rumble pak for some reason.)

RAMPAK

Now if any other company have cobbled together some gesture controller then that would be embarrassing.

I agree there. It puts a lot of pressure on MS as they'll really have to go a noticeable step up on top of the current wiimote functionality to make a mark.

I think it's Nintendo saying the Wiimote could actually deliver on its promises now than it is, that's a good thing.

Indeed.

Care to explain why, and in a manner that doesn't smack of fanboy tribalism?

I agree there. It puts a lot of pressure on MS as they'll really have to go a noticeable step up on top of the current wiimote functionality to make a mark.

1-1 mapping will do it; coupled with a decent application for that or two.

Nintendo have just admitted that the Wiimote doesn't support that level of functionality.

I don't think most people care about the functionality. MS are going to need a WiiSports. And a small easy to use machine.

The pointing is not innaccurate though.

It is. Point the remote at the screen and you're just guiding a cursor - look where you're actually aiming, and I guarantee it won't be the position that the remote's pointing to.

Ghost Squad partially rectified this with its calibration, but it still wasn't perfect. On Link's Crossbow Training you could slow cursor movement right down so it was fairly accurate, but even with that, it wasn't bang on.

It's accurate in the sense that it moves how you want it to, but the positioning of the remote and the cursor don't match up.