Sign in to follow this  
Nimmel

Itv Now Goes Sci-fi

I saw this on teletext this morning where they announced that Patrick Stewart has taken the role of Alan Hood. I can't find much about it on the net apart from the snippet below. UK Sci-fi is having a mini revival.

http://www.action-tv.org.uk/news_tvshows.htm

ELEVENTH HOUR is a series of four 90 minute episodes commissioned by Granada Television. Described as science-themed drama the series has been created and written by Stephen Gallagher. Originally titled Dark Matter the series will broadcast in 2005. Gallagher's official website carried some more info on the ries including an outline of what its about: ELEVENTH HOUR is a popular investigative series set against a background of contemporary science. Every story involves a human crisis, and every crisis arises out of a current scientific development. Our stories are tales of suspense, races to avert disaster, the stories of individuals caught up in the unforeseen consequences of progress. It's smart, pacy and sharp, as modern in its style as in its issues. Gallaher himself commented: "The main character's an emeritus physics professor named Alan Hood. He made his first appearance in a novella that I wrote for Ellen Datlow's supernatural anthology THE DARK, although the show that I've built around him stays firmly this side of the speculative line and doesn't stray into pure sf or horror. In my own little way I wanted to create a kind of Bernard Quatermass de nos jours. In his first stage direction I describe him as 'a bull in a rumpled raincoat'. He's rubbed so many people up the wrong way that he needs a full-time Special Branch bodyguard. OK, in my own little way I wanted to create an Emma Peel de nos jours..."

When someone actually describes their show as that, I worry.

The fact that it's an ITV show makes me worry (which is unfair I know) but surely Stewart wouldn't return to UK show after over a decades absence unless the script showed promise? Unless they promised him a bucket load of cash, from what my addled mind can remember they said the show had a £4.5 million pound budget so if the sets wobble and Stewart has a big grin we will know why.

The fact that it's an ITV show makes me worry (which is unfair I know) but surely Stewart wouldn't return to UK show after over a decades absence unless the script showed promise? Unless they promised him a bucket load of cash, from what my addled mind can remember they said the show had a £4.5 million pound budget so if the sets wobble and Stewart has a big grin we will know why.

I don't think it's unfair to worry because it's an ITV show. Let's face it, their forays into sci-fi (and the fact they haven't even got the balls to call it sci-fi makes me worry as well) haven't exactly been numerous or any good.

Personally the thing that makes me doubtful this'll be good, is that we don't have the directors, DPs or editors to make shows as relentlessly slick as the US. Our efforts look clumsy in comparison. I really think we should import some US behind-the-scenes talent to work alongside our guys and show them how to do it.,